Considering getting a septum piercing but not sure if it’s a good idea or not?
Many people have this problem when they are thinking about getting a new piercing.
Your decision would be so much easier if you could see all the pros and cons of septum piercing laid out in their simplest form.
That’s why I have decided to do this for you.
Getting a piercing is a bigger deal than some make it out to be. I mean a piercing is a wound at the end of the day, so should be taken seriously!
Pros and Cons of a Septum Piercing
This piercing is quite popular these days. You may even be considering getting one done yourself!
So what are the main points for and against getting a septum piercing?
Some of these points are fact, others are more a matter of opinion.
Hopefully after reading this you will have made up your mind on whether you should get this piercing or not!
- There are many different types of body jewelry which can be worn in your septum. This is a highly customizable piercing.
- Septum piercings can be easily hidden. This is great for those of you whose work place is not so piercing-friendly.
- This is a versatile piercing which can suit anyone, no matter what your style is! It can also work on pretty much any nose shape, contrary to common belief.
- A septum piercing can enhance your natural beauty. Think of it as a permanent decorative accessory for your face.
- If you do not feel the piercing suits you, take it out and there won’t even be a visible scar!
- Septum piercings are stretchable! If you do decide to stretch your septum piercing, you can hide it if you need to for any reason, unlike stretched ears.
- More unique than a standard nose piercing.
- You can combine a septum piercing with any other piercing and it will look great. For example a horseshoe in your septum with a bridge piercing (top of the top, between eyes)
- Aftercare can be awkward due to the fact that the piercing is actually inside your nose. Be prepared to clean boogers off your jewelry sometimes.
- Getting the actual piercing done may make your eyes water and cause you to sneeze.
- People judging you. Piercings have a stigma. If you are going to get one, you will have to live with this and be prepared to deal with people calling you a “bull”. Just ignore them!
- Without proper care this piercing can start to smell. The stench will be more noticeable to you as it is inside your own nose. This is more common with larger gauge sizes. To avoid this look after your piercing!
- Cleaning your piercing and jewelry can be quite sore and will make your eyes water. Especially if you allow crust to form, as you will have to get it off! Again, look after it to prevent this!
Keep in mind that most of the cons are only a problem if you do not look after your septum piercing properly. Take good care of it and there are hardly any cons at all!
Would a septum piercing suit you?
You may be worried that you do not have the right shaped nose or face to carry a septum piercing off.
Well, here’s some good news: septum piercings can look great on anyone!
Septum piercings can suit any shape of nose. It can enhance a good looking nose’s beauty or distract from a not so attractive nose.
Here are a couple of ways to try on a septum ring without having to get pierced:
- Get yourself some fake septum jewelry. Most piercing shops will do these. GET 10% OFF on All Body Jewelry at Body Candy.
- Take a photo of yourself and find a piercing generator app or website where you can try on piercings. You could also use Photoshop or GIMP which is free to download and edit a septum ring onto your face.
If you wish, you could send me a photo of yourself and I will do this for you and email your photo back to you. Don’t worry I won’t let anyone else see it, it will just be between you and me.
I know it is a tough decision to make – whether to get the piercing or not. Just take your time, don’t feel rushed. Sleep on it!
Depending on your reasons for being uncertain, I would say the pros far outweigh the cons.
Particularly if your reason is that you are not sure if it will suit you or not. I can tell you now, it will suit you!
Weight up the pros and cons of a septum piercing, make your decision, get your piercing (or not) and most importantly – take good care of your new piercing!
I hope you found this post helpful. If there are any more pros or cons of getting a septum piercing, let me know in the comments and don’t forget to share this post!